Saints Women seal win in final home game of the season

Southampton Women earned a 3-1 win in their last home game of the season against London City in the Barclay’s Women’s championship

Molly Pike and Emma Thompson got the home side off to a fast start with a first half goal each. London would bring themselves back into the game midway through the second half through Leanne Cowan before Rianna Dean would seal the win late on for the home side.

The first opportunity came the way of the visitors as Chantelle Boye-Hlor fired a low shot past the post from just outside the area.

The Saints replied soon after as Atlanta Primus’ long range shot being parried out by Grace Moloney. Thompson and Lucia Kendall had shots blocked on the rebound before Pike sent a shot narrowly wide of the far post.

After 14 minutes of play, Southampton took the lead through Pike as they caught London napping on the counter. Kendall fired the ball out to the right wing for Ella Morris to run onto. Her low cross found Pike near the penalty spot who calmly rolled the ball home.

Just eight minutes later it became a two-goal lead as Kendall burst down the right wing before swinging a cross into the six yard box where Thompson was waiting to prod the ball home.

Pike almost grabbed a brace before the half time break as she was set free by Alice Griffiths down the left wing before cutting back onto her right foot. She then curled a shot over the diving Moloney but could only watch it come back off the bar.

The Saints started the second half brightly and a corner caused chaos in the box as strong shouts for handball against Megan Campbell were waved away and London could clear the ball.

Kendall produced another defence splitting pass to find Pike but the attacker couldn’t find her usual clinical touch and Moloney was able to smother the ball.

In the 71st minute, Cowan halved the deficit with a finish into the roof of the net after a bouncing cross from Danielle Carter made its way to the back post.

City almost levelled things up minutes later after Carter found herself free in the box but couldn’t beat Kayla Rendell with her powerful shot.

It was Southampton that would score next though in the 82nd minute to restore their two goal advantage as Griffiths would pounce on a loose ball to play through Dean. The substitute made no mistake and finished into the bottom corner to give the home side a stronger grip of the game.

Southampton were able to see the game out and consolidate their top four position in the league table.

Southampton: Rendell, Morris, Mott, Kendall, Rafferty, Lloyd-Smith (Peplow 79’), Pike (Kraft 79’), Thompson (Dean 68’), Griffiths, Primus, Purfield.

Subs: Parnell, Peplow, Dean, Wynne, Haaland, Kraft, Milne, Surin, Mallon.

London City: Moloney, Mukandi, Campbell, Joel, Fitzgerald, Carter, Lindstom (Satchell 71), Wilde (Neville 45’), Littlejohn (Groves 45’), Cowan, Boye-Hlor.

Subs: Neville, Groves, Alexander, Cull, Satchell, Henson, Jarrett, Farrelly.

Attendance: 3416