Sonny Cox gifted his Exeter City manager, Gary Caldwell, a belated Christmas present as the Grecians won 1-0 against Wycombe Wanderers and claimed their first league game since September.

The home faith are less than impressed with their manager, as of late, and the proof was in the pudding but this was a much needed win which will relieve some of the relentless pressure on the Scotsman.

The Devonians started on the front foot, the returning Tom Carroll had a tame effort saved from 15 yards out after some steady play on Exeter’s right hand side.

Zak Jules made a vital last ditch headed clearance for the Grecians which denied a certain goal for Wycombe Wanderers.

Exeter City manager was made to force his hand as Yanic Wildschut had to be replaced only 13 minutes in by Ilmari Niskanen, due to an injury to the midfielder.

From the first minute the visiting supporters were singing and bouncing, making the most noise in St James Park even though they were majorly outnumbered.

That isn’t a huge surprise as the home side haven’t won in the league since September so you can’t blame the St James Park faithful for feeling Bah-Humbug.

Just after the half hour mark, Jack Aitchison made a lung busting run which resulted him being toppled to the ground in the penalty area.

The Big Bank, England’s largest free standing stand, imploded as they were convinced they were due a penalty but the referee didn’t give them a belated Christmas present.

Check Diabate was given a yellow card on the stroke of half time, for a foul on Sam Vokes, as he lunged into a challenge on the halfway line.

From the resulting free-kick, Wycombe’s Luke Leahy looked like a pulled a Christmas cracker out of the bag, his looping shot evaded Viljami Sinisalo but also the post as the loanee scrambled along his goal line.

A dire game to watch for all inside St James Park, the Christmas festivities from yesterday could not even brighten up the atmosphere as the show before them was lifeless.

The most entertaining highlight from the first was when Gary Caldwell received a yellow card for complaining and the home fans wanted a red card for their gaffer.

Alex Hartridge forced Max Stryjek into a stunning one handed save as he clawed the ball away from goal with cat-like reflexes, the defender was certain he opened the scoring for the Grecians as he ruffled his hair.

Reece Cole was the next Exeter play to fancy his chances, his path was clear but Stryjek was in the way again as he stopped the Gracian’s captain low drive from the edge of the penalty area.

the inexperienced Sonny Cox, who looked half the size, weight and height of veteran defender Richard Keogh worked tirelessly for the home side as he battled for every ball whilst up front by himself.

Cox was rewarded after his selfless running, Cole waltzed through the Wycombe defence before thumping in a cross which cannoned off of the young striker into an empty net.

1-0, relief more than enjoyment outpoured from the home support as the ball hit the back of the net as they deservedly took the lead.

Before the players in red and white could catch their breath, the ball was in their own net but Kieran Sadlier was penalised and carded for a handball which lead to the leveller being disallowed.

After opening the scoring, Exeter were unchained and flourished on the ball as their confidence sky rocketed.

Will Aimson was denied with just over 10 minutes remaining, Stryjek flew through the dark evening sky, outstretched, as he tipped his side footed effort around the post, more groans from the Big Bank.

With the clock tickling down, anoginsinzgly slowly for the home fans, it was Wycombe’s turn to pile on the pressure as they pinned back the Grecians.

Substitute Harry Kite flew into a challenge and won the ball as clean as a whistle, in his own penalty area, whatever was said at half-time certainly worked the Exeter appeared as a transformed team after the break.

Kite was then to have adjudged to have fouled Leahy as he stepped across him to the disgust of anyone associated with Exeter.

The Wycombe man then took the resulting spot kick which Sinisalo burst across his line in his luminous pink kit to deny the attacker which sent the home fans to make a deafening noise.

Exeter claimed their first three points since beating Cheltenham on the 16th September and it was truly deserved after improving tenfold from their lacklustre first half.