A Payne double hat-trick sends the Sirens through to next round

OLIVIA Payne’s double hat-trick fired the Sirens through to the next round of the Hampshire Senior Cup.

Southampton Women’s FC Reserves put eight past Bournemouth Sports Reserves in the opening round of the Hampshire Senior Cup.

Payne was six for six, with Liv Glover and Dani Kjaer adding to the score sheet.

Despite the overcast skyline, the Sirens’ first half performance was far from dull.

Phoebe Connor and Lou Forder were a dominant midfield force, with new signing Oceana Adams adjusting nicely alongside them.

Payne opened the scoring after fifteen minutes, getting on the end of Glover’s through ball.

Marley Curtis adapted to playing a higher position comfortably, and was soon getting in on the action too.

She beat her player to drive towards the box and cross to Payne, who finished for her second.

Bournemouth started to test Southampton’s defence with high balls over the top.

Katelyn Wort showed composure to collect and drive forwards with the ball, with goalkeeper Leah Etheridge playing effectively as a sweeper.

The first half was wrapped up with the conclusion of Payne’s first hat-trick on the stroke of half-time.

Sirens Manager Nathan Baker kept the momentum flowing into the second half, with a trio of midfield substitutions made at the break.

Payne’s influence in the front line continued, but this time with a ball threaded through to Glover for her second of the season.

Bournemouth rearranged their attacking options in the second half, testing full-backs Poppie Weekes and El Reid.

Play returned to the other half, as Aimee Gritt supported Marley Curtis to win back the ball and cross to Payne for her fourth of the day.

Bournemouth’s attacking chances picked up, but substitutes Amanda Jones and Charley Sanford stopped their advances.

Baker made his final substitutions at sixty minutes; Wort and Curtis were replaced by Lucy Wilson and Kjaer.

Kjaer had an instant impact, getting her first goal of the season.

She ran onto Gritt’s pass, cut inside and shot to the far corner.

Bournemouth didn’t stop however, and won themselves a penalty, after Jones committed a foul in the box.

Ex-Southampton co-captain Sian Tilly stepped up to the spot, but dragged her shot narrowly wide of the left post.

As the game was beginning to draw to a close, Payne completed her second hat-trick with both goals coming five minutes apart.

Southampton were (literally) jumping for joy as the full-time whistle blew.

Full-time: Southampton 8 Bournemouth Sports 0

Photo: El Reid Media

About El Reid

Media Manager: @itchenwf Content Creator: @sotonwomensfc

View all posts by El Reid →